Wednesday 30 March 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 12 - A Song From A Band You Hate

Pyramid Song
Radiohead

CONTROVERSIAL!

I was actually gonna do The Beatles, but that would probably destroy the space/time continuum as everyone gets thrown into an existential quandary as they try and understand the complexity of someone not liking The Beatles.

Instead I've gone with Radiohead. Now don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Radiohead, it's too strong a word. Hate isn't really in my lexicon, unless we're talking about Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote but that's a different story all together.

If I could rename this it would be "A Song From A Band That Winds You Up", purely for the fans. Radiohead fans (and I'm talking about the die-hards here) are a bag of arse-ends. I was never a fan of them when they were just an indie-guitar band, but when they released Kid A all the fans who stood by them went shooting up into their own arse-holes faster than Chewbacca with his finger on the "Light-Speed" button.

Again, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Kid A to a certain degree, but if I want to listen to a Bjork album, I'll probably just listen to a Bjork album. The fans, the once-upon-a-time-indie-guitar-kids who suddenly thrust themselves up onto their high-horse of avant-garde superiority, all look down upon anyone who isn't obsessed with the album because "they obviously don't get it".

I spent maybe two hours at a house party cornered by some spotty southerner telling me how Kid A was the start of a new musical revolution, how it will be a historical flag-mark for the new wave of intelligent music to come. I then had to send his ass back by twenty years ago by slamming into his face the likes of Bjork, John Zorn, Einstürzende Neubauten, Bauhaus, Autechre etc. However, it's terribly difficult for someone to hear someone else's point of view when your head is tightly holed up inside your own anus. Arguing with someone telling me "I just don't understand it" when I'm telling them who has been doing it decades beforehand is a one-way street, hence why I wash my hands of these people.


I've chosen Pyramid Song cause it is actually a very good song and a great use of time signitures with an Eastern string section to boot, but it's nothing new and that's the point I find myself hammering on about every time. There's plenty of music that is similar and better IF YOU LOOK FOR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Radiohead simply have the financial backing to be able to find you, rather than the other way around.


To anyone who owns a Radiohead album and simply enjoys it, then I have nothing against you. Just educate yourself first before you start preaching. Everything is derivative. End of.


Stick that in your family album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment