Friday 25 March 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 8 - A Song That You Know All The Words To

Rapper's Delight
Sugarhill Gang

Aiiiight you sucka MCs?!

When I was about 10 I made it my life's ambition to learn the entire words to this song, and I'm not talking about this 6:15 min version, I'm talking the whooooole 14 min original version. And you can bet yer black/white/red/brown/purple/yellow ass that I did too.

That's right, even the bit when they start running out of ideas and Wonder Mike starts rapping about going to a friend's house to eat but the "chicken tastes like wood", and how he's too polite to say no to a second portion.

I tried to demonstrate to some friends when I was about 17 that I could recite the entire works on night. I can imagine it was the longest 14 minutes of their collective life, watching some fool sat in an armchair nonchalantly spouting "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast but we're like hot butter on a breakfast toast".

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment