Saturday 9 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 21 - A Song That You Listen To When You’re Happy

The King of Wishful Thinking
Go West

(Apologies for the lame, overly compressed audio/photo montage version - video link in yellow)

I'll lay it down right now, Go West are the quintessential 80's band. They satisfy my lustful and shameless synth-fetishism, whilst writing cracking pop tunes that still hold up with great soulful vocals to boot.

"The King of Wishful Thinking" is one of the last great pop anthems of the 80's[*] for a bloody good reason;  it's catchier than gonorrhea in a tampon factory AND for the random pop-up gorilla in the music video.

"What in health are you Tolkien about? The gorilla? What gorilla?" I hear you ask, dribbling through your black toothless gums.
Unfortunately, I can't stream the video through this page so you'll have to follow this link and go to 2:27 mins in.
Trust me, it's worth the hassle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZaTlcbYxw

Whilst we're on the subject of the video, there are two people in this world who simply cannot rock the white wife-beater look; myself, and Peter Cox.

Irreverence aside, the tune is without doubt a song that I listen to when I'm happy. Listen to it yourself, if you don't like it then you're probably into 'drum & bass' and we all know that you can go jump off a motorway bridge, don't we?

Whilst we're at it, look who else did a cover of this song?!


[*] it was released in 1990, and I'm not getting into another debate about how '90 is in the 90's cause it's not; that's just bad maths/science

No comments:

Post a Comment