Sunday 10 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 22 - A Song That You Listen To When You’re Sad

Who's Lovin' You?
The Jackson 5

I would recommend that you grab yourself a towel, old newspapers and some detergents because it's going to be tough to clean those stains from your wall after I blow your minds with the next piece of info.

Two things; this song was originally written by Smokey Robinson aka. the man who only wrote "Tracks Of My Tears", and secondly, Michael Jackson was 11 when this was recorded. ELEVEN?! That voice has got more soul than the inside of a Shinigami's digestive tract*.

If I was a drinker, I could imagine this tune fueling the non-diegetic soundtrack to my mid-40's nervous breakdown, crying into a bucket of crusty bleach whilst trying to set myself on fire with the cigarettes that I've attempted to smoke. But that's not likely to happen, so I can only dream.

This version was recorded in 1969, hence why the music is fitting of the era; a bluesy Motown toe-tapper that still gets me every single time. I would say "it makes the hairs on my neck tingle", however that would be lying seeing as i'm about as hairy as an epilated tortoise. Some might say this just means I'm slightly "more evolved" than my hirsute brethren, but I'm straying from the point.

Would I say "Who's Lovin' You" is a sad song? Lyrically, possibly. But on an emotional scale, which I feel is a relevant weighing mechanism, I'm more inclined to say no. Sure, it's a song about regret and mistakes, yet it evokes a vehement burst of euphoria inside me, brickwalling every sense of me with sheer elation. Hence why it's the perfect antidote for the blues.

Try it, you bunch of miserable bastards.

* kudos to anyone who figured out the Death Note reference

No comments:

Post a Comment