Sunday 17 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 27 - A Song That You Wish You Could Play

Songs For Ghosts To Haunt To
Maps & Atlases

As you can tell just by listening, WHERE DO YOU EVEN BEGIN TRYING TO TAB THAT KIND OF GUITAR WORK? It's ridiculous.

This is a strange band. The first EP "Trees, Swallows, Houses" was an elegant math-folk janglefest. The song "Songs For Ghost To Haunt To" being a ruddy good example of their brand of genius pop. The second EP, "You & Me & The Mountain" slightly less crazy, but still very kooky. Then by the release of their full-length debut album "Perch Patchwork", we were graced by mid-tempo indie-folk-by-numbers chug-a-longs. The annoying thing is, unlike with my recent Foals gripe is the debut album is actually quite good so I can't really fault them for their complete musical detour.

Why do I do this to myself? I get massive hopes for certain bands, then they never turn out the way you want them to. If this is the case, perhaps I should never have children.

Listen to the top song and then listen to what they sound like now. Two great songs, completely apart from eachother;

No comments:

Post a Comment