Monday 11 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 23 - A Song That You Want To Play At Your Wedding

I Would Die 4 U
Prince

Is it cheating if I use Prince twice during this 30 Day Song Challenge? Who cares though, right?

I'll be honest with you now, I've been struggling with this one. There's a handful of songs that I probably would have liked to play purely based on the mood, such as yesterday's track "Who's Lovin' You" or even "Tracks of My Tears" but like with most of these sombre down-tempo songs, lyrically they don't quite gel into the 'marriage' theme. Other songs that were considered; "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis, "Naive Melody" by Talking Heads and "Reign In Blood" by Slayer.

Yak yak yak, I'm joking obviously, although if you know me then you know how my sense of humour is more like a 'sense of reality' and this will probably happen. My future wife, the mysterious and anachronistic wench herself had better enjoy a bit of Slayer or I'm calling the whole thing off.

Which leads me onto the Elephas Maximas in the proverbial room. re: the subject of marriage. Personally, and this is just the way I think; it's 2011, the only reason to get married these days is so you can get custody over a child or to get slightly cheaper tax. Don't get me wrong, it's not about the commitment, I'm not dismissing that, I just don't see how relevant a piece of paper is in the grand scheme of a unifying bond of hearts. If you know there's something epic between the two of you, why do you need a certificate to reassure you of this information? It's actually crazy.

Besides, I'm not festinating to secure my vast fortunes and proud ancestry down the royal bloodline to worthy successors before I abscond my throne in glorious death.

I could wax lyrical about how the wedding day itself just seems like a largely self-gratifying ego felch, but that will just end in an aimlessly sneering rant. If you both need a flamboyant declaration of love, amassing steep financial losses to set up a huge ceremony just so everyone can see the mistake you're making, then quite frankly you need to take a long look at your lives and re-evaluate what really matters in life.

But then my brain is a nihilist, whilst my heart yearns in optimism that my brain could be wrong, so don't pay any attention to my thoughts as this is all personally directed at me. I know lots of people who are married and soon to be married and I'm happy for them all.

I'm not even ruling out the possibility for myself, if it feels right then I probably will go for it in time and therefore leading me back onto the context of my chosen song, what better way is there to declare your undying love? Dying for them [*]. Simples.

Lyrically, it justifies everything I've been saying/yapping on about earlier. "I'm not your lover, I'm not your friend, I am something that you'll never comprehend" is simply breaking down all these roles that we try to fit ourselves into and just accepting the emotional dynamic you have with someone without questioning it, and celebrating it. It happens quite easily, and just as easily it can be lost as you try to pigeon hole it. Sometimes you will find somebody who breaks the mould, someone who fits into too many moulds and then some who don't fit anywhere at all. If it works, it works and clearly in this scenario, Rogers Nelson would die for them.

Morbid git.

To cheer you up, I've incorporated the Mariachi El Bronx cover of the same song (totally the version I'd like played at the wedding);


[*] please don't take that seriously, I don't need another police investigation/unnecessary death on my conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment