Sunday 17 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 29 - A Song From Your Childhood

Piggy
Nine Inch Nails

Not quite childhood, but the prime of my adolescence is when I started to learn how to make music by figuring out how other people made music. The very first bassline I chose to learn the day I got my bass guitar was this very song.

The song is in two parts; the first being a slow-paced industrial lounge track until a barrage of recycled off-kilter drum solos kick in, introducing a gorgeously slick new groove. I must have played that bassline all night until I had no skin left on my supple teenage fingertips. Naturally the tips of my fingers are now so hard that I could hammer a nail into a wall, and so I owe a lot of exhausted sentiments to this particular track.

It's almost 20 years old, and the album "The Downward Spiral" still breaks ground with each listen.
Epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment